Saturday, April 28, 2012

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas


First of all, I want to apologize for the recent quality of photos. Right after I started this blog, my brand new camera broke, and I had to send it off for repairs. I've been using my camera phone (an iPhone 3) to take pictures, which obviously doesn't produce the best quality photographs.


After the success of the Energy Balls I made last week, I've been on the hunt for other healthy snack options. I "pinned" a recipe on Pinterest months ago that I've been meaning to try, but haven't been properly motivated to make.  This blog inspired me to give it a go.  

The recipe is for Spicy Roasted Chickpeas; described as a healthy, tasty, easy to make snack.  


INGREDIENTS
15 oz can of chickpeas
2 tsps olive oil
1/2 tps kosher salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2. Drain, rinse, and pat dry the chickpeas, and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the oil and the spices
4. Add the chickpeas to the oil-spice mixture and stir until completely coated.
5. Spread the chickpeas evenly on a lined baking pan.
6. Bake for 20 minutes.
7. Flip the peas with a spatula, return the pan to the oven and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes.  
8. Allow to cool and then munch. 

Verdict? I thought they were just okay. The seasoning was good, but I think I just personally do not like roasted chickpeas that much.  I prefer them lightly sauteed with some olive oil and lemon in a pan on the stove. However, my husband thought they were great! Plus it was a quick snack to make, and easy on both the wallet and the waist. So I recommend at least giving it a try. There's a good chance you'll probably like them more than me.

Tip: Make sure you cook them long enough! I took them out too early the first time, and they were crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside, which was not pleasant.  The next time I cooked them longer so that they were super crunchy, and it was definitely better that way. 

4/30/12 Update: I've stored the peas in an uncovered bowl for several days, and it made them crunchier--and much tastier! Now I think they are pretty good! 

**Recipe from Our Best Bites**



No comments:

Post a Comment