Thursday, May 9, 2013

Skinny Brownies


Last week I decided to try to come up with my own Skinny Brownie recipe.  I had several failed attempts (which I mercilessly pawned off on several friends, sorry guys!), but eventually I came up with a winner.  Not only are these brownies nice and moist, they have the added benefit of being vegan and low sugar.  They also don't take very much time or effort to make, which I always appreciate.  I topped my brownies with a generous sprinkle of sea salt, which I felt like added a fun dimension to the brownies.  However, if you are unsure about the (amazing) salty and sweet combination, feel free to leave that part out.  

Skinny Brownies
Yields 9 Brownies


INGREDIENTS
3 Tbsp Coconut Oil
1/4 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
1/2 Tbsp Vanilla 
1/4 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk (or milk of choice)
1/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/3 Cup White Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
Sea Salt (optional)

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease an 8 x 8 baking dish.

2. In a glass measuring cup, add applesauce, almond milk, coconut oil, and vanilla.  Microwave, for 30 seconds at a time, until completely dissolved and mixed together (don't let it get too hot--aim for slightly warm). 

3. Meanwhile, in a medium size bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Pour in the wet ingredients from the measuring cup, and stir until smooth (don't over mix).  

4.  Bake for 15-17 minutes or until toothpick comes out relatively clean. Lightly sprinkle the top with Sea Salt. Once cool, cut into 9 squares.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
Serving Size: 1 Brownie
Calories: 104
Fat: 5
Carbs: 13
Protein: 1
Sugar: 7




No comments:

Post a Comment