Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Avocado Egg Salad


I've been craving egg salad like mad during this pregnancy.  Years ago, when I studied abroad in England, I literally ate an egg salad sandwich on a baguette every single day for lunch.  Across the pond they call it an "Egg Mayo Sandwich", which is a more truthful name for this delicious sandwich.  Unfortunately, it's also a reminder that perhaps it isn't the most healthy of concoctions.  Since I'm trying to stay as healthy as possible during this pregnancy, I decided to make a more nutritious version of egg salad; using predominately avocado instead of mayonnaise.  Of course, seeing as how avocados are the fruits of the gods, it was absolutely delicious.  Now I can guiltlessly give in to my cravings.  Now if only I could find a healthy version of Almond Snickers...


Avocado Egg Salad
Recipe Adapted from Skinnytaste

Serves 2-3

INGREDIENTS
4 Hard Boiled Eggs
1 Avocado
1 Tbsp Mayonnaise (or Greek Yogurt)
1 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 to 3/4 tsp Dijon Mustard, adjust according to preference
Salt & Pepper, to taste

DIRECTIONS

1.  Separate the hard boiled eggs yolks from the whites.  Discard two of the yolks, keeping only two for the recipe.  

1.  In a medium bowl, add in the avocado, mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, mustard, and the two egg yolks.  Using a fork, mash together until smooth.

2.  Chop up the four egg whites and stir into avocado mixture.  Season with salt & pepper.  Taste test, and adjust seasonings if necessary.  


NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
Serving Size: 1/3rd of Egg Salad Mixture
Calories:  184
Fat:   16
Carbs:  6
Protein:  7



1 comment:

  1. I'll have to try that! Egg salad is a guilty pleasure of mine as well.

    ReplyDelete