Monday, November 24, 2014

Cabbage Casserole


In Athens, Georgia, there use to be a great little barbecue restaurant called Jot Em Downs.  Its most famous offering was the Cabbage Casserole; and it was so in demand that it was sold out 90% of the time.  It was seriously that good!  I've been trying to replicate the dish for years, and have yet to nail it down (I'm convinced their trick was using the pork drippings to make a rich gravy/broth to add to the roux), but I think I've finally gotten as close as I can get to the recipe using regular kitchen staples.  However, if you happen to have pork shoulder drippings around, I totally recommend adding it to the recipe to replace the chicken broth!  Regardless, Cabbage Casserole is a fantastic dish to bring to holiday gatherings; I guarantee that no one else will bring the same dish.  I'll be taking it to my family's Thanksgiving this year!

Update:  I have the ACTUAL Cabbage Casserole Recipe from Jot Em Downs now.  I've made the changes below.  Enjoy!

Cabbage Casserole
Serves 10-12



INGREDIENTS
1 Head of Cabbage, cored & sliced thin
1 small Onion, diced
2 Tbsp Butter
1.5 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup
12 oz of Mayonnaise (Dukes if you got it!)
Olive Oil
1 Sleeve of crushed Ritz Crackers
1 cup of shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese


DIRECTIONS

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.

2.  Saute the onion in the butter until soft.

3.  Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the Cream of Mushroom soup with the mayonnaise until smooth.  

4.  Place half the the sliced cabbage into the greased baking dish.  Spoon all the sautéed onions evenly on top.  Sprinkle with salt and drizzle with olive oil and then spread half the soup-mayonnaise mixture on top.

5.  Layer on top the rest of the sliced cabbage and top evenly with the rest of the soup-mayo mixture.  Cover.

6.  Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes.

7.  Top with the crushed Ritz Crackers.  Lightly salt.  Finish it off with the cheddar cheese.  Bake uncovered for 30 more minutes.







No comments:

Post a Comment