Thursday, January 15, 2015

Homemade Hot Cocoa


My little hometown has been hit by unseasonably cold and rainy weather lately.  On one particular dreary day, my family was feeling especially bogged down with cabin fever.  To remedy the situation, I suggested a day full of movies, a roaring fire, popcorn, and hot chocolate.  Needless to say, my 3 year old was especially on board with the idea of hot chocolate.  One problem?  I had ran out of hot chocolate instant packets, and I had no motivation to brave the rain for a grocery run.  So I decided to make some hot cocoa from scratch.  Most recipes call for cow's milk, but I'm currently breastfeeding a baby who may have a dairy sensitivity.  Therefore, I decided to use a carton of unsweetened coconut milk and keep the recipe vegan.  I was so surprised by how easy - and how incredibly rich and delicious -  homemade hot cocoa was!  It was so simple and so tasty that I don't think I'll ever use the packets again.  One batch make about 4 to 6 servings, and if you don't drink it all, it keeps quite well in fridge and is easily reheated.  

Homemade Hot Cocoa




INGREDIENTS
1/3 Cup Water
1/3 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/2 Cup White Sugar, or to taste
1/4 tsp Salt, or to taste
4 Cups Unsweetened Coconut Milk (or Milk of Choice)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

DIRECTIONS


1.  In a medium saucepan, add the water, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt.  Turn heat to medium high and bring to a simmer, whisking frequently.  Allow it to simmer, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.


2.  Pour in the milk and vanilla extract and turn heat down to medium.  Cook until hot, but make sure it doesn't boil.  Remove from heat and serve.   

Tips: 

Top with marshmallows for extra yum.  Vegan?  You can make your own vegan marshmallows:  http://www.inhabitots.com/how-to-make-homemade-vegan-marshmallows/
Or if you're feeling lazy, you can buy Vegan marhsmallows (Dandies is a popular vegan brand).

No comments:

Post a Comment