Monday, May 11, 2015

Hot Corn Dip


Memorial Day is coming up in a few weeks.  Like many Americans, my family tree is full of brave people who served our country.  My dad was both Air Force and Army, and both my grandfathers were Navy.  My paternal grandfather, George K. Larsen II, gave his life for our country in World War II.  He volunteered for a last minute mission, and was shot down in the South Pacific.  His body was never found, so he's listed as both MIA and KIA.  As a child, I would fantasize that he had parachuted out of the burning plane, and had swam safely to an island, where he now lived out his days in paradise on the beach.  Now that I'm all grown up, I sadly know that isn't possible, but I take heart in knowing that his sacrifice (along with many, many others) helped protect our country. 


So on Memorial Day this year, while celebrating and having fun, I also plan on sitting my children down and explaining the sacrifices made by their great grandpa and millions of Americans like him, that have allowed us the freedom we have today.  I hope you will do the same with your family!

For Memorial Day this year, I plan on making one of my all time favorite dips; Hot Corn Dip.  It's quick and inexpensive to make, and is always a huge hit at parties.  If you are in a hurry and short on time, you don't even have to bake it; just simply cover it and microwave it until hot.  

Hot Corn Dip
Serves 8-10



INGREDIENTS
1 Tbsp Butter, melted
2 (15 oz) cans of Yellow Corn, drained*
1 (15 oz) can of White Corn, drained*
**(Alternatively, you can use 4 cups of frozen corn, thawed)**
1 (10 oz) can of Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilis (mild), drained
1 (8 oz) block of softened Cream Cheese, cubed
1 1/2 Cup of shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese, divided
1/2 to 1 Tbsp Chili Powder (to taste)
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Cumin Powder
Salt, to taste

DIRECTIONS

1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and use the melted butter to grease a 1.5 quart casserole dish.

2.  Combine the corn, rotel, cream cheese, 1 cup of the Monterrey Jack cheese, and all the seasonings.   Microwave the casserole dish for a few minutes if the cream cheese isn't incorporating fully with the rest of the ingredients.  Stir until well mixed.  Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of Monterrey Jack.

3.  Cover and bake for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.

4.  Serve warm with tortilla chips or crackers.


No comments:

Post a Comment