Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Homemade Pedialyte


This past weekend, my baby girl had too much dairy, which is problematic because apparently she is still has cow milk sensitivity.  Lesson learned (and hello, Goat's Milk!).  She had diarrhea for several days, and I was worried about dehydration. She didn't seem too keen on drinking plain water, so I considered going out and buying some Pedialyte for her.  However, after some research, I learned that I could make my own Pedialyte with ingredients that I always have on hand.  Not only was it super easy to make, it was  extremely cost effective!  

HOMEMADE PEDIALYTE

INGREDIENTS:
4 Cups of Water
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
3 tablespoons honey or sugar (no honey if child is younger than 1!)
1/2 teaspoon Salt
Optional: Squeeze of lemon, or 1/2 packet of unsweetened Kool-Aid


DIRECTIONS

1. In a medium pot, bring water to boil. 

2. Take off heat, and stir in sugar, salt, and baking soda, until mixed completely

3. If you want it flavored (I didn't), mix in unsweetened Kool-Aid or a squeeze of lemon juice. If your kid is really picky, you can mix in some clear fruit juice, but note that too much sugar can exacerbate diarrhea.

4. You can serve it in a cup as soon as it cools, or you can freeze it in ice cube trays for later like I did.  After they froze, I just popped them out and into a freezer bag, and put it in my freezer.


Now whenever I need it, I have it on hand. I served it to my daughter in a mesh feeder, but I have also melted it and served it in her favorite sippy cup.  Another option is to make Pedialyte Popsicles.   



2 comments:

  1. What does the baking soda do? I have a recipe that is the same except for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When mixed with water, baking soda becomes an electrolyte; which is what needs to be replenished when your child becomes dehydrated.

      Delete