Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers


During my pregnancy, I had gestational diabetes, which meant I had to follow a strict low-carb diet.  I really wish Pinterest had been around back then, so that I would have seen a delicious low carb recipe for Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers from a blog called Peace, Love, and Low Carb.  Even though I'm not longer afflicted with diabetes, I still try to watch my carb intake.  This is especially difficult for me, because sandwiches are my favorite type of food. However, this recipe is honestly even better than the sandwich to me; which is nothing short of a miracle.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients
2 Large Green Peppers
8 oz thinly sliced deli Roast Beef
8 slices Provolone Cheese**
1 Sweet Onion
8 oz Baby Bella Mushrooms
2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
2 tbsp unsalted butter**
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt & Pepper

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees

2. In a large pan, melt butter over medium high heat. Add the olive oil, mushrooms, and onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 20 minutes or until caramelized.   

3. Meanwhile, cut Peppers in half, and remove the ribs and seeds. Chop the roast beef into thin strips.

4. Toss the garlic and roast beef into the pan with the onion-mushroom mixture. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.  

5. Place peppers on a large baking pan. Place a slice of cheese in the bottom of each pepper.

6. Fill each pepper with evenly divided beef-onion mixture. Top with a slice of cheese.

7. Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden-brown.
Some of our peppers were a little lopsided, so we used scrunched up aluminum foil to set them upright
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I loved this recipe, and so did my husband. I actually haven't seen him this excited over a recipe in a long time, so that means it must be good. I really think the trick to this recipe is to really caramelize the onions and mushrooms; try to resist cutting down on the cooking time, because the longer it cooks, the more flavorful it gets. I didn't have to add a single extra seasoning to this recipe; it was perfect. This recipe is definitely going into our regular meal rotation!

**9/9/12 Update:  Since I'm on now a diet, I made this recipe with some modifications to get it below 500 calories a serving.  I simply halved the amount of provolone (one slice per pepper instead of two).  Doing this make it have the following nutritional content:  

Per Serving (Serving Size: 2 Stuffed Pepper Halves)
Calories: 474
Fat: 26
Carbs:  25
Protein: 40


2 comments:

  1. I just want to let you know that I've been trying many of your recipes (Zucchini lasagna, hamburger casserole, turkey burger, sriracha honey slow-cooker chicken, Moroccan chicken, ham and cheese gnocchi, gnocchi alla caprese, cheesecake, teething biscuits, etc...). Last night I made this recipe and my husband absolutely love it! He has actually loved ALL of the recipes I've made from your blog. I'm a new mom and I've been trying to eat whole foods and set a good example for my son on how to eat healthy. THANK YOU so much for sharing all these awesome recipes that you have modified to perfection!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nadia! You seriously just made my entire day!

      Delete