Thursday, December 6, 2012

Peanut Butter & Banana Pancake Muffins


I recently found a recipe on Pinterest called "Toddler Muffins" made with pancake mix and bananas. I made them and my kid loved them, but I just didn't feel good about giving them to her on a regular basis. The recipe called for 1 cup of pancake mix (the "just add water" kind), 1 diced banana, 2/3 cup water...and 2/3 cup of maple syrup.  That's a lot of sugar.  It's no wonder my 14 month gobbled it up. The little voice inside my head was repeating "increasing her risk of diabetes" over and over every time I gave it to her, but she's become such a picky eater, and it was literally (and I mean literally) one of the few things I've been able to get her to eat lately.  So I decided to create my own Toddler Muffins recipe; one that was made with a little  bit healthier ingredients.  Fortunately, my first attempt was met with resounding success.  She gobbled them down just as quick and happily as she did the high sugar ones.  


Peanut Butter & Banana Pancake Muffins

INGREDIENTS
1 Cup of Dry Pancake Mix (the "just add water" kind)
2/3 Cup of Whole or 2% Milk
1/3 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
1/2 Cup Natural Peanut Butter
1 Tbsp Maple Syrup or Honey (optional)
1 Banana, diced

DIRECTIONS

1. In a medium sized bowl, stir together all the ingredients.

2. Grease a muffin (or mini muffin) pan.  Pour batter into cups, filling each cup only a third of the way up.

3. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. If you use a mini muffin pan, only cook for 10 to 14 minutes.

4. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze (see under tips).


TIPS AND NOTES
*Do a taste test and decide if you want to add any sweetener (honey, maple syrup, etc.); it's still sweet without it.
* Use a mini muffin pan if you are making it for a baby or as a toddler snack. Use regular muffin pans if you are making it for a toddler breakfast. It makes about 10 regular muffins; makes around 24 mini muffins.
*Feel free to use other fruits! Next time I'm going to try it with blueberries.
* To freeze, place the muffins on a cookie sheet so they are not touching. Put the cookie sheet in the freezer for an hour, and then transfer muffins to a freezer bag and freeze.


No comments:

Post a Comment