Friday, January 18, 2013

Whipped Sweet Carrots


I'm sure I'm not the first parent to declare this, but my toddler is the pickiest eater ever.  It's been a struggle trying to get her to eat anything.  My child even hates chicken nuggets and macaroni and cheese. What kid can hate those? Mine, apparently.  However, during the holidays, I let her try some of my Sweet Potato Souffle, and she could not get enough of it.  So I brainstormed about how I could make this work for other vegetables too.  I played around in the kitchen, and came up with the perfect recipe: Whipped Sweet Carrots.  It was simple to make, and my daughter literally shoveled it into her mouth with both hands. I've even been able to hide pureed spinach in it, with her being none the wiser.  It really is the perfect toddler food.  The only problem?  It is the perfect adult food too, and I struggle not to grab her spoon and steal a bite when she's eating it.  Due to its deliciousness, Whipped Sweet Carrots have become a grown-up side dish in our house now too.  As an added bonus, it is diet friendly, yet tastes so decadent it could pass as dessert.  

Whipped Sweet Carrots

INGREDIENTS
5 lbs Carrots, peeled and chopped
1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
1.5 tsp Vanilla Extract
2/3 C. Unpacked Brown Sugar
1/4 C. Milk of Your Choice (I used Whole)

DIRECTIONS

1. Steam (or boil) carrots until very soft.

2. Using an immersion blender (or a food processor), blend carrots until completely smooth.  Stir in the coconut oil, vanilla extract, brown sugar, and milk.  Puree until whipped.

3. Store in the fridge for up to a week, or freeze.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
Serving Size: 2/3 Cup
Calories: 98
Fat: 1
Carbs: 21
Protein: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment