Friday, June 21, 2013

Honey Whole Wheat Bread


There are very few things that my picky toddler will eat, and she seems to have a strong preference for processed foods. *Sigh*  So I try my best to pick out the healthiest out of the processed foods, such as wheat bread for her "Cheesy Bread" lunch.  I had assumed that if the bread's packaging had words like "natural" and "made with whole wheat" and such, it meant that it was you know, healthy.  However, after a little research, I learned that most bread in the grocery store is pretty awful for you, even the ones that call themselves "healthy".  This article from 100 Days of Real Food was one of the things I read that really opened up my eyes.  Frustrated by the commercial trickery, I decided to buy a bread machine and make my own bread. It's been a great purchase: the bread is easy to make, tasty to eat, and healthy for our bodies.  I've tried a few recipes, and played around with ingredients, and finally perfected a Honey Whole Wheat Bread recipe that our whole family loves.  I hope yours does too. 


Honey Whole Wheat Bread

INGREDIENTS
1 1/8 Cups Warm Water (110 degrees)
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil (or melted butter or Olive Oil)
1/4 Cup Honey
1 tsp Salt
2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup Bread Flour
1 1/2 tsp Dry Yeast


DIRECTIONS

1. Add the wet and dry ingredients in the order that your particular bread machine calls for.  

2. Follow the instructions on your bread machine for a wheat bread and a light crust.  

3.  I like to slice and freeze mine as soon as it cools, and then defrost slices as I need them. Because there are no preservatives like in commercial bread, it goes stale a lot quicker. This can be avoided by immediately eating it, or freezing it. 

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
Serving Size: 1/19th of Bread
Calories: 91
Fat: 2
Carbs: 19
Protein: 3
Sugar: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment