Friday, July 19, 2013

Broccomole


A few weeks ago, I pinned a recipe on Pinterest for "Broccomole" by Domestic Fits.  Instead of using avocado to make guacamole, she ingeniously uses broccoli instead. I'm always looking for ways to get more broccoli in my diet (some say that it is the healthiest vegetable on earth), so I had to give it a try, even though I was skeptical of the results.  Amazingly enough, it turned out pretty darn fantastic! It was a breeze to whip up, especially since I used a bag of frozen broccoli instead of fresh.  I served it to my unknowing husband, who was shocked to later learn that it was avocado-less.  I personally can taste a hint of broccoli, but it still is incredibly similar in taste to avocado guacamole...except with a quarter of the calories and fat.  While I'm a huge proponent of the healthy fats that avocado provide, it's always nice to to have a lighter dip to gorge on too.  Which is why I set the serving size at a HUGE 1/4th of the entire thing. Eat it with sliced bell peppers, and it's one of the healthiest guilt-free snacks ever.
Broccomole
Recipe adapted from Domestic Fits


INGREDIENTS
4 Cups Broccoli Florets (I used frozen)
1/2 to 1 Jalapeno, seeded & chopped  (optional)
1/4 Cup (2 oz) Light Cream Cheese
1 Garlic Clove (or 1/4 tsp garlic powder)
2 Tbsp Cilantro
1 tsp Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Chili Powder
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
Salt & Pepper

DIRECTIONS

1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil; add broccoli and cook until very tender. Drain well.

2. In a food processor, add in all the ingredients listed, including seasonings. Puree until very smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.

3. Serve warm. Eat with sliced bell peppers, carrots, chips, whatever!

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
Serving Size: 1/4th of Entire 'Mole
Calories: 104
Fat: 8
Carbs: 7
Protein: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment