Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Chorizo & Egg Tacos


Like my Tofu & Avocado Tacos, Chorizo & Egg Tacos were created by combining a few foods I had been craving and throwing it together on a corn tortilla.  I had recently read a review about how Trader Joe's Soy Chorizo was amazingly delicious, and I had been hankering for Sweet Potato Hash, while also jonesing for avocado...so I came up with Chorizo & Egg Tacos with Sweet Potatoes and Avocado.  And it was crazy good!  While I used Soy Chorizo to make it vegetarian (and lighter in calories and fat), feel free to use regular chorizo, but know that it makes the dish not as healthy (obviously).  I can't vouch for other brands of Soy Chorizo, but even my meat-loving husband went nuts over how good Trader Joe's Soy Chorizo was ("it tastes just like meat!"), so I highly recommend using that if you can.


Chorizo & Egg Tacos
with Sweet Potatoes & Avocado
Serves 4


INGREDIENTS
1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
1 Sweet Potato, peeled and diced* (see notes)
1 Onion, sliced thin
Salt & Pepper
12 oz Soy Chorizo (or regular Chorizo)
4 Large Eggs
4-8 Corn Tortillas
2 Avocados, diced
Optional Garnishes: Chopped Cilantro, Lime Wedges, Hot Sauce (Valentina's the best!)

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.  Add in the sweet potatoes* and onion, lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper, and saute until both have softened.  

2. Stir in Soy Chorizo and cook until heated through. (If using regular chorizo, cook in a separate skillet so you can drain the fat once cooked, and then stir the chorizo in with the potatoes). 

3. Meanwhile fry 4 sunny side up eggs in a skillet. (You can poach them if you prefer).

4. To assemble the tacos, lay out your corn tortillas, top with the chorizo-sweet potato mixture, then the avocado, lay a fried egg on top, and then garnish with chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime.  I drizzled on some Valentina Hot Sauce for some added heat.  To keep it healthier, I eat mine on just one corn tortilla, open-faced, with a knife and fork.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
Serving Size: 1 Corn Tortilla, 1/4th of the Chorizo-Sweet Potato Mixture, Half an Avocado, 1 Egg
Calories: 485
Fat: 33
Carbs: 33
Protein: 19

NOTES
* Sometimes the sweet potatoes can take forever to become tender, so I like to do a little trick to speed it up.  I poke a few holes in the top of a raw, unpeeled sweet potato with a fork,  wet the potato, then set on a damp paper towel, and microwave for 2-3 minutes.  Once it's cool enough to handle, I then peel and dice.  This process will soften the potatoes. Be careful; if you cook it too long, it will become too mushy, and then won't retain their firmness for sauteing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment