Friday, August 30, 2013

Broccoli Bites


I am constantly trying to come up with creative ways to sneak more vegetables into my toddler's diet.  Recently I saw a recipe for "Broccoli Bites for Kids" on a blog called Stacey Snacks.  I was doubtful that this was something my kid would eat, but I gave it a try any how.  Much to my surprise, my picky child ate the whole thing! True, I had to do the "Take a Monster Bite" song and dance (sung to the tune of Monster Mash, obviously) to get her to eat it, but this is a kid who won't even try a bite of pizza.  After she finished, it was one of those parenting moments where you honestly expect a six foot trophy to be presented to you.  I got my kid to eat something GREEN!  Woo!  Even better, the rest of the batch froze beautifully, and reheated easily in the microwave.  Which means I can have a healthy side dish on hand for dinner that only takes 30 seconds to prepare. Now where's my trophy?

Broccoli Bites
Recipe from Stacey Snacks

INGREDIENTS
16 oz Frozen Chopped Broccoli, cooked according to package directions
1 1/2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
3 Eggs
1 Cup Seasoned Italian Breadcrumbs
Optional: Salt, Garlic Powder, Pepper 

DIRECTIONS

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line with parchment paper.

2. Make sure broccoli is cooked until tender, and drained very well. Pat dry with paper towels.  

3. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together.  Add in your child's favorite seasonings. I skipped all extra seasonings because my kid is so picky.

4. With your hands, form into small patties and place on the baking pan.  

5. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Flip over with a spatula, and then bake for an additional 10 minutes.  

6. Allow to cool before serving.  To freeze any leftovers, place the Bites evenly spaced (not touching each other) on parchment paper in the freezer. Once frozen, put them all in a freezer bag. To defrost, microwave one on a plate for 30 seconds or so.


NOTES

If your child has texture issues (or is too young to handle big bites of broccoli), I recommend putting just the broccoli in the food processor and puree until smooth, and then stir in the rest of the ingredients.

Since I'm sure you are just so curious, the Monster Bite song goes like this (sung to the tune of Monster Mash):

"Take a bite...
Take a MONSTER bite!
Take a bite...
Take a MONSTER bite!"
And repeat ad nauseum.  Don't forget to dance like a monster.  Instead of jazz hands...monster hands!


No comments:

Post a Comment