Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Buffalo Turkey Burgers with Blue Cheese & Broccoli Slaw


A few years ago, I was traveling up to Canada to attend a good friend's wedding.  I flew into Buffalo, NY and from there planned on taking a train the rest of the way. I had a few hours to kill before my train departed, so I decided to explore the city.  I soon found myself at the famous Anchor Bar, also known as the birthplace of Buffalo Wings. This, my friends, is the moment where my obsession with buffalo sauce begins.  Oddly enough, while I love the sauce, I'm not a huge fan of eating chicken wings (too much work!), so I'm always looking out for other ways to indulge my obsession.  Recently, I stumbled upon a recipe from Skinnytaste that looked so alluring that I had to make it RIGHT THEN.  I altered the recipe just a bit to suit my tastes, by substituting red bell pepper for the carrots, and changing a few other things to make it a bit easier to prepare.  So, what was the verdict?  My husband took one bite, looked at me, and said "I'm so glad you are my wife".


Buffalo Turkey Burgers
With Blue Cheese & Broccoli Slaw
Recipe Adapted from Skinnytaste



INGREDIENTS
1 Red Bell Pepper, finely diced
1-2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 Cup Seasoned Bread Crumbs
1/4 Cup Frank's Original Hot Sauce
1 lb 99% Fat Free Ground Turkey
1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
Low Fat Blue Cheese Dressing (I made THIS)
Package of Broccoli Slaw (shredded broccoli, cabbage, & carrots)
4 Wheat Buns

DIRECTIONS

1.  In a medium bowl, combine the bell pepper, garlic, onion powder, bread crumbs, and hot sauce.  Stir until well mixed, and then add the turkey, stirring until combined (be careful not to over stir, it'll toughen the meat).  Form meat into 4 large flat patties, placing them on wax paper or a greased plate, so it'll be easier to get them into the pan later.


2.  Heat a large skillet up over medium-high heat.  Add in the olive oil, swirl the pan, and then place the patties on the hot pan.  Allow the patties to cook for 6 minutes on one side (don't move it during that time), flip, and then cook for an additional 4 minutes, or until cooked through. (Tip: If it's cooking quicker on the outside than the inside, you can cover the pan).

3.  Place each patty on a bun, and top with broccoli slaw and two tablespoons of blue cheese.  Add more hot sauce if you desire.




NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION

Serving: 1 Turkey Patty on a Bun with Broccoli Slaw & 2 Tbsp of Low Fat Blue Cheese Dressing
Calories:  344
Fat:  8
Carbs:  33
Protein: 38



No comments:

Post a Comment