Monday, August 11, 2014

Cheeseburger Pie


This summer, the dish I have made absolutely the most has been Tomato Pie.  I think I can go as for as officially naming it my #1 Pregnancy Craving.  However, my picky toddler does not like tomatoes, so I needed to come up with a way to combine my pregnancy craving and my daughter's taste preferences into one recipe.  This led to the creation of Cheeseburger Pie!  The dish is incredibly kid friendly, while still allowing you to enjoy the freshness of summer ripened tomatoes.  I simply remove the offending tomatoes from my kid's slice, and place them on top of my own serving--so double the tomatoes for me!  Win-win!  In summary, this is a hot, cheesy, filling dish that every one in your family will crave.

Cheeseburger Pie
Serves 6


INGREDIENTS
9" Deep Dish Pie Crust
2 Heirloom Tomatoes, sliced
1 lb Lean Ground Beef
1/3 Onion, diced
2-3 Garlic Cloves, minced
3 Tbsp Ketchup
1/2 Tbsp Yellow Mustard
Salt & Pepper, to taste
1/3 Cup Fresh Basil, chopped
1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
1 tsp Ground Mustard
3/4 Cup Mozzarella, shredded
3/4 Cup Extra Sharp Cheddar, shredded

1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and bake the empty pie crust for 10 minutes, or until lightly golden.  Remove pie crust from oven.

2.  In a large skillet, cook the onions and ground beef over medium-high heat until the ground beef is cooked through.  Add in the garlic, and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.  Stir in the ketchup, yellow mustard, basil leaves, and salt & pepper.  Remove from heat.

3.  Spoon beef mixture into the empty pie crust, using the back of the spoon to press the ground beef firmly into the crust, to compact it as much as possible.  Place sliced tomatoes evenly on top of meat mixture, allowing them to overlap.

4.   In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, ground mustard, mozzarella, and cheddar.  Spread mixture evenly over the top of the entire pie.

5.  Bake the pie for 25-30 minutes in a 350 degree oven, or until bubbly and golden.  Allow it to rest for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.


NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
Serving Size:  1/6th of Pie
Calories:  463
Fat:  34
Carbs:  19
Protein:  22




2 comments:

  1. oh wow! this looks SO good. I really don't think you can go wrong with anything cheeseburger or anything pie. i'll have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really good! I've seriously eaten it every week for the last month, haha

      Delete