Monday, October 13, 2014

Peanut Butter Fudge (Black Bean) Brownies


So I'm happy to announce that I had my baby boy a few weeks ago!  He was born on September 26th, at 6 lbs 6 oz, when I was exactly 38 weeks along.  



Interestingly enough, my 3 year old daughter was also born in September, about 2 weeks early, at 6 lbs 7 oz.  Their hospital newborn pictures look almost identical; they both have such similar features and coloring at birth.  My daughter is now blonde and blue-eyed and looks absolutely nothing like she did as a newborn, so I'm curious to see how much Stinker (yup, his nickname is Stinker...and sometimes Stink-Stink) will change in this next year.  He, however, was born with brown eyes, so I'm betting he keeps his darker coloring.  


My baby boy is perfectly healthy and absolutely adorable.  His favorite things in life are nursing, nursing, and sleep.  And then more nursing.  Even though he was born teeny tiny, he is definitely on his way to becoming my chunky baby!  Stinker has fit right into our family, and is adored by his big sister (who's nickname is Boo, by the way.  No one in our family escapes my nicknames!).  So far, going from one child to two has been easier than going from zero to one...it only half felt like Baby Bootcamp this time!  

Selfishly, one of my favorite parts of life right now is my ability to eat carbs and sugar again. After being afflicted with gestational diabetes during my pregnancy, I've been going carb-wild since giving birth.  I know I'm going to have to reign it in soon if I ever want to fit back into my pre-pregnancy clothes, but for now, I'm really really enjoying dessert again! 

So what have I been enjoying the most?  Peanut Butter Fudge (Black Bean) Brownies!  These might be the best brownies ever!  Seriously, they blow my regular Black Bean Brownies out of the water.  Of course, I'm a big fan of peanut butter, so that maybe why.  Regardless, trust me, you gotta try these for yourselves!  Just like the original black bean brownies, they are fudgy, healthy, but decadent.  Make sure to use natural peanut butter (I think Kroger's Natural Peanut Butter is the best tasting), and don't forget to stir in the extra chocolate chips in the end.  


Peanut Butter Fudge 
(Black Bean) 
Brownies



INGREDIENTS
15 oz Can Black Beans, drained & rinsed  
1 Cup Chocolate Chips
2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil, melted
1/2 Cup Real Maple Syrup
1/4 Cup Peanut Butter
1 Egg
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
Additional 1/3 Cup Chocolate Chips

DIRECTIONS


1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Grease an 8 x 8 baking dish.


2.  Put all the ingredients (except the additional 1/3 cup of chocolate chips)in the food processor and puree until smooth; using the spatula to scrape down the sides every now and then. Once smooth, stir in the additional 1/3 cup of chocolate chips, but do not puree again.


3.  Spoon batter into the greased baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out relatively clean.


4.  Once cool, cut into 16 squares.  Store at room temperature, covered.





NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
Serving Size: 1 square (1/16th of brownies)
Calories:  197
Fat:  10
Carbs:  25
Protein:  4




No comments:

Post a Comment