Monday, October 6, 2014

Pumpkin Bread


When I was pregnant with my first child, I over prepared for everything:  birthing classes, breastfeeding books, baby supplies, etc.  However, there was one area where I completely dropped the ball:  I didn't make any food ahead of time.  I didn't realize how hard tasks like cooking dinner and running to the grocery store would be with a baby.  Instead we spent the first few months of my daughter's life ordering take-out and eating overly processed boxed foods.  This time, I planned ahead.  I made a month's worth of freezer dinners, snacks, desserts, and breakfasts.  One of my favorite items I made was Pumpkin Bread.  It was so easy and quick to make, and tasted so moist and delicious.  I was originally going to keep it pure with no add-ins, but my daughter convinced me to make it with chocolate chips.  I definitely think she made the right choice!  Feel free to mix in your own personal favorite add-ins.  This recipe makes two loaves, and freezes beautifully...if you can wait that long to eat it. 

Pumpkin Bread
Makes 2 Loaves



INGREDIENTS
15 oz can of Unsweetened Pumpkin Puree
1 Cup of Coconut Oil, in liquid form
3 Large Eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
3 Cups White Sugar
3 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp Ground Nutmeg
2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
1/2 tsp Salt
Optional mix-ins:  1 Cup of Raisins, Pecans, Walnuts, and/or Chocolate Chips

DIRECTIONS

1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease 2 nonstick loaf pans.

2.  In a large bowl, cream together the pumpkin, coconut oil, eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract.

3.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, ginger, and salt.  Mix the dry mixture into the bowl with the wet ingredients, until just blended (don't over mix!).  Stir in any optional mix-ins you want to use.

4.  Pour batter into greased pans and bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out of center mostly clean.  Allow loaves to cool, wrap them in plastic wrap, and (ideally) allow them to refrigerate for a day before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment