Thursday, May 17, 2012

Buttermilk Pie


My friend Sweet Jenny requested my Buttermilk Pie recipe, and I am happy to oblige!  Buttermilk Pie has been my go-to dish for holidays since I was in college.  Inexpensive ingredients, no fancy baking techniques needed, super delicious, etc.  The only thing I have changed over the years is the amount of sugar.  I used to make it with 1 1/2 cups of sugar, but I have decreased it a little to 1 1/3 cups (mainly because I have become a bit more sensitive to sweets).  Feel free to play around with the recipe some.  You can reduce the sugar to just one cup, or do the full 1 1/2 cups, depending on the severity of your sweet tooth.  Some may want to add in some nutmeg or cinnamon, and some like a squeeze of lemon.  I'm a purist though; I stick with the basics.  



INGREDIENTS
1 1/3 cups White Sugar
1/2 cup Butter, Melted 
3 Large Eggs
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
3 tbsp All Purpose Flour
Pinch of Salt
1 Cup Full Fat Buttermilk
Optional:  1 tbsp lemon juice 
1 frozen Deep Dish Pie Crust


DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees

2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar with the melted butter (make sure butter has cooled some and is not hot!).  Next beat in the eggs.  Once well mixed, stir in the vanilla.  

3.  Add in the salt and flour, and then pour in the buttermilk (and the lemon juice if using), and beat until smooth.  

4. Pour the batter into the pie crust. It might be helpful to put the pie crust on a baking pan, because it can be hard to keep the pie steady!

5. Reduce the temperature to 350 and bake for 50-60 minutes.  If your crust is cooking faster than the batter (like mine always does), cut a hole in some aluminum foil and put over your pie, so the crust is covered for the last 15-20 minutes of the baking time.

6. When you take out the pie, do the wobble test--if it only wobbles a little, it is done. If it is really wobbly, put it back in, but check on it every 5-10 minutes. Don't worry about a little wobble; the pie will continue to cook even after it's removed from the oven

7. Let it cool for 30 minutes before putting it in the fridge. I personally think buttermilk pie tastes better after it has sat for a day.  I also like to eat it cold, but some may prefer it warm. Regardless, it should be stored in the fridge.





4 comments:

  1. Bridget- you freakin' genius! I never thought to cut a hole in the aluminum foil... I always tried (and failed) to get little strips of foil to stay on the edge of the pies. Then I caved and bought a pie guard... which I'd forgotten about until now. Oh well. Brilliant! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered buttermilk pie at our church pie social last night. How have I lived in Texas for 20 years and never had this yumminess?!? It may be because I have liked/loved very few pies in my lifetime... I digress, my question is about bringing all the ingredients to room temperature. Does that include the frozen pie crust? I can't wait to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brook, thanks for asking; I realize now that my instructions are pretty vague. I'll reword it! But nope, the pie crust can stay frozen (or alternatively you could use a homemade or refrigerated pie crust). The buttermilk, eggs, and butter should be the ones at room temperature. I usually cheat and microwave the buttermilk and butter to get it to room temperature quicker, and place the eggs in a bowl of warm water.

      Delete