Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Pinterest Hits & Misses, Part 3


Drum roll please..........it's time for Pintrest Hits & Misses, Part 3!  If you missed the earlier entries, I have also done a Pintrest Hits & Misses Part 1 and a Pintrest Hits & Misses Part 2.


So which Pins were Hits and which Pins were Misses?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pin:  Keep Avocado From Browning

The Claim:  Spray the surface of an avocado or guacamole with cooking spray to prevent it from turning brown.
The Verdict:  A Hit! I only used half an avocado one night, so I sprayed the remaining half with Pam, wrapped it up in plastic wrap, and it was the exact same color the next day.
The "After"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Pin:  Baking Soda Facial
The Claim: Mix baking soda with warm water, apply to skin, let it sit for five minutes, and voila: glowing skin
The Verdict:  Miss. I didn't notice any difference in my skin tone at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pin:  Cinnamon-Honey Face Mask
The Claim: Mix together 1 tsp honey, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 1 tsp nutmeg, apply to face, leave on for 30 minutes, and then behold your glowing skin.
The Verdict:  Hit! Okay, I couldn't keep it on for the full 30 minutes because the cinnamon started to make my face feel like it was burning (I recommend any one with sensitive skin like me to reduce the time to 5-10 minutes), but I was pretty pleased by the results.  My face was soft afterwards, and it felt squeaky clean.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The Pin:  Coconut Oil Deep Conditioner
The Claim: Mix together jojoba oil, coconut oil, and essential oil and apply mixture to hair; let it sit, rinse, and then have amazingly soft, silky hair.
The Verdict: Hit!  I didn't follow the instructions completely; I skipped over the part about heating your oil-drenched hair (way too much work!).  My hair was also crazy oily afterwards (imagine that!) and I ended up having to take another shower to shampoo my hair a second time to make it not look greasy.  However, after I got all the oil out, my hair was soft, silky, and shiny!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The Pin:  No Scrub Clean Baking Sheets
The Claim: Sprinkle baking soda and hydrogen peroxide on your stained cookie sheet, wait a few hours, and then wipe away all the old stains.
The Verdict:  A Miss. It barely looked any different, and the only time it really seemed to clean it, was when I actually scrubbed it, but even then, it wasn't worth the elbow grease. However, in this pin's defense, I later learned this trick is not to be used for non-stick pans (which is the only type of baking pan I own).  But I think this requirement has to do with it damaging the non-stick coating, and not due to it preventing the cleaning claim.
Before


After
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



The Pin:   Nice Smelling Toilet Paper
The Claim: Drop essential oil on the inside of your toilet paper roll, and enjoy a pleasant smell every time you grab a ply of paper.
The Verdict:  Hit! I waited until I was entertaining to try this trick out. It worked great! It was nice to get a pleasant whiff of lavender every time I used the facilities. I'm sure my guests enjoyed it too.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



The Pin:  Clean Faucet Bases
The Claim: Wrap vinegar-soaked paper towels around your faucet bases for several hours to get them spic and span.
The Verdict: Hit! This worked great! It lifted stains I've been trying to get off for months. Definitely let it sit for a few hours to let the vinegar work its magic.

Before
After
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The Pin:  The Best Oven Cleaner
The Claim: Naturally clean your oven with baking soda and vinegar.
The Verdict: Mostly a Miss. It got up some surface stains, but left the harder stuff. I ended up just using my trusty oven cleaner, which worked a hundred times better. But if you are wanting to only use natural ways to clean your house, this is an okay method.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pin:  Remove Rust Spots from Knives
The Claim: Soak your knives in lemon juice to get the rust off.
The Verdict: A (very) small Hit.  First of all, you have to use an obscene amount of lemon juice to have enough to fill up a glass that will go high enough to cover the knives. I spent a small fortune on lemons! But it did seem like it helped remove a lot of the rust stains on my knives. However, in an effort to clean the rust off the part too high to be immersed in lemon, I learned that lightly scrubbing the rust stains with a SOS pad got the rust off even better--and quicker. So in the future, I'm just going to skip the lemon, and just use the SOS pad.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The Pin:  Get Mildew Smell Out Of Towels
The Claim: To get the mildew smell off of towels (or bathing suits), wash towels in hot water with a cup of vinegar, then wash them again in hot water with 1/2 cup of baking soda.
The Verdict:  Hit! It worked great!  I've gotten to where I put vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser every time I wash my towels now, and that helps delay the inevitable mildew-smell build up.  I then use this method once-a-month to keep my towels smelling fresh.  If it's a sunny day, I'll hang them out in the sunshine to let them dry (sunshine naturally kills mildew).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The Pin:  Clean Your Glass Cooktop
The Claim:  To clean off the toughest stains on your glass cooktop, sprinkle baking soda all over it, then get a washcloth that has been soaked in hot dishsoap water, and lay it on top of the baking soda, and let sit for 15 minutes.
The Verdict:  A Miss. This didn't work for me, and I was disappointed.  I guess my cooktop has the Superman of stains.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pin:  Endless Green Onion
The Claim:  Put your leftover green onion in a glass of water, and it will continue to grow. You can cut and harvest it several times (some suggest indefinitely) before it dies.
The Verdict: A Hit! I was able to keep mine alive for a month, and was able to cut off green onions several times and it regrew after I cut it. I froze the onion I harvested, so now I have a good freezer supply of green onions.  
Before
After (about a week later)
My first harvest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pin:  Miracle Stain Remover
The Claim: A mixture of dish detergent, hydrogen peroxide, and baking soda will remove the stubbornest of stains.
The Verdict: A Hit and a Miss. It completely removed the pit stain on my husband's undershirt (and I grabbed the oldest, worst stained shirt he owned).  It did not, however, work very well on other stains (I used baby onesies). I can safely say that it does work fine on colored clothing, despite the inclusion of hydrogen peroxide. 
Before
After
Before
After
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion: I still continue to buy white vinegar and coconut oil in bulk.  White vinegar continues to be the champion of cleaning, and coconut oil remains the queen of beauty.  I wonder if anything will ever dethrone them?  Until next time.....

Click HERE for Part 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment