Monday, February 18, 2013

Mexican Tofu Wrap with Black Beans & Spinach


This year I have striven to eat at least fifty percent vegetarian.  Breakfast and dinner have been a breeze, but lunch has proven more difficult.  I have a feisty toddler for a boss who only allows very short lunch breaks. I had been eating Applegate Farm's hot dogs for lunch, because they only take a few minutes to cook and eat, working with my tight schedule. I had a lot of trouble finding a comparable vegetarian substitute; either it was low in calories but took too long to prepare (i.e. decent salads), or it was quick to make but high in calories. Or it was too expensive, or plain and tasteless. So many issues! So I decided to create my own vegetarian lunch: Mexican Tofu Wraps! I sauteed up some tofu and black beans, spiced it up with some seasonings, and put it in a low carb wrap with cream cheese, salsa, and spinach leaves.  It took less than ten minutes to make the bean-tofu mixture, and it made enough for the whole week.  So that means I only have to spend ten minutes (tops!) cooking the tofu-bean mixture on Sunday, and then I only need 2 minutes to prepare a Mexican Tofu Wraps on subsequent days of the week.  So now when her Royal Toddlerness allows me my short lunch break, I can get my lunch prepared swiftly.  But more importantly?  It's delicious!


Mexican Tofu Wrap
with Black Beans & Spinach
Makes 5 Wraps



INGREDIENTS
1/2 Tbsp Coconut Oil or Olive Oil
Firm Tofu, drained & pressed, & cut into cubes
15 oz Can of Black Beans, drained & rinsed
1 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Cumin Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
Salt & Pepper, to taste
5 Tbsp Light Cream Cheese
5 Tbsp Salsa (I love Trader Joe's Double Roasted Salsa)
2 1/2 Cups Spinach Leaves
5 Low Carb Wraps (I use Tumaro's Gourmet Tortillas)

DIRECTIONS

1. In a medium skillet, over medium-high heat, add in oil, tofu, and seasonings.  Saute for 3-4 minutes or until tofu is heated through.  Stir in the beans, and cook for an additional 2 minutes or until warm. Take off the heat.  Put bean-tofu mixture in an airtight container; it can be kept refrigerated for up to a week.

2. To make the Mexican Tofu Wrap, spread 1 tbsp of cream cheese on a tortilla. Place 1/5th of the bean-tofu mixture in the wrap, and top with 1 tbsp (or more) of salsa, and 1/2 cup of spinach leaves. Roll the tortilla up, and microwave for 30 seconds or until warm.  Cut in half and eat.

 
 
 
 
 

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
Serving Size: 1 Wrap with 1/5th of Mixture & Fixings
Calories: 246
Fat: 9
Carbs: 30
Protein: 19


TIPS

* Limiting your carbs?  Make this into a salad! Serve the bean-tofu mixture on a bed of spinach, and substitute a dollop of sour cream for the cream cheese to serve as a dressing (don't forget the salsa!).

* Not dieting?  Add some Monterrey Jack cheese to the wrap!

* Like it spicy? Sprinkle some cayenne pepper onto the tofu while cooking.

* Pinto beans can be substituted for the black beans.

*Feel free to add more veggies to the wrap: peppers and tomatoes would be great.

* Seriously you have to try Trader Joe's Double Roasted Salsa. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment