Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Two Ingredient Cookies


I have been seeing recipes for Two Ingredient Cookies all over the blogosphere lately.  Due to their inclusion of bananas (my most despised food), I have tried my best to ignore them, but eventually my curiosity got the better of me.  Well, my curiosity and my desire to find recipes that are healthy and tasty snacks for my husband and toddler.  It took barely any time to whip these cookies up, something as a time-pressed mom, I'm always grateful for.  

Although the cookies only call for two ingredients, there is room for add-ins, especially if you want a more flavorful cookie.  I decided to throw in a handful of mini chocolate chips and raisins, and tossed in a 1/4 cup of flaxseed to make it even healthier.  While I obviously didn't care for them (bananas, blech!), my husband thought they were pretty great for a healthy, quick cookie recipe.  My picky toddler apparently isn't ready for these cookies yet (she's very funny about textures), but I imagine she'll enjoy these a lot when she's a bit older. It was soft enough, though, for my toddler with only 8 teeth to chew and swallow without concern.  So my verdict? It's a great snack for both toddlers and health-conscious adults.  



Two Ingredient Cookies
Yields 10 Cookies

INGREDIENTS
2 Ripe Bananas, mashed
1 Cup of Quick Oats
Optional: 1/4 Cup ground Flaxseed, Raisins, Dried Cranberries, Chocolate Chips, Walnuts, vanilla extract, cinnamon, etc.

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a cookie sheet.

2. Stir the mashed banana with the oats until well mixed. Add any mix-ins you desire. Depending on the size of your bananas, and the amount (and consistency) of your mix-ins, you may need to add in more banana if it's too dry, or more oats if it's too liquidy. 

3. Spoon rounded tablespoons of cookie dough batter onto the greased cookie sheet, evenly spaced. Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until set.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
Serving Size: 1 Cookie
Calories: 51
Carbs: 11
Fat: 1
Protein: 1

NOTES
* Don't have quick oats? You can just blend/puree old fashioned rolled oats for a minute to create quick oats. 
* Make sure you're bananas are RIPE! The riper the sweeter and healthier they are.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha, I'd been wondered if this recipe was going to hit your blog. I thought: She hates bananas! She likes healthy! 'Two' Ingredients! 'Two Ingredients!' She hates bananas!

    Looks like the easy, healthy aspect won out. You're such a giver, making cookies for your loved ones...even though you're not going to eat them. :) I like the banana flavor...but then again, I'm not a weird-o. :) I just made them with oats, nanners and cinnamon. Then I ate most of them while I made the rest of dinner. Then I was really quite full. That's healthy, right? :)

    ReplyDelete