Sunday, February 3, 2013

Spaghetti Squash Alfredo


When I was in college, my favorite "fancy" meal was Alfredo Pasta. It was my ultimate splurge, both in price and calories.  As I've grown older and wiser, I've learned to appreciate healthier pasta toppings, but every now and then I get a hankering for my old love.  When I saw Food Doodle's Skinny Spaghetti Squash Alfredo, I was stoked to try it out.  It was easy to make, and was very tasty. The hardest part of the recipe is preparing the spaghetti squash. I baked mine this time, but next time I'm going to try the microwave method. I think it might be a less scary option.

Spaghetti Squash Alfredo
*Recipe Adapted from Food Doodle*
Serves 2-4

INGREDIENTS
1 Large (or 2 Small/Medium) Spaghetti Squash
2 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Flour
2 Tbsp Light Cream Cheese
3 Cloves of Garlic, Minced 
1 1/2 Cup 1% Milk
1/4 tsp Salt
1 Cup (2 oz) Unpacked Freshly Grated Parmesan
Dried Parsley, Nutmeg, and Black Pepper

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut Spaghetti Squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Fill a baking pan with an inch or so of water, and place the squash, cut-side down, on the pan. Bake for an hour, or until easily pierced.  Using a fork, scrape the squash so that "noodles" are formed.

2. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. When the butter begins to foam, add in the flour, and whisk constantly for one minute, to create a roux.

3. Add the cream cheese and garlic to the pan, and continue stirring for one more minute. Pour in the milk, and whisk well. Add in the salt. Slowly bring to a gentle simmer (be careful not to boil), while stirring often. Remove from heat.

4. Add in the Parmesan cheese, and stir until melted. Pour the sauce evenly over the spaghetti squash halves. Carefully stir the "noodles" with the sauce. 

5. Turn on your oven's broiler. Top with nutmeg, parsley  and black pepper. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan Cheese if desired. Broil for 3-4 minutes or until the top turns bubbly and golden. Eat it straight out of the Spaghetti Squash.


NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
Serving Size: One Half of a Spaghetti Squash (or 1.5 cups of Spaghetti Squash and 1/4 of the Sauce)
Calories: 230
Fat: 13
Carbs: 19
Protein: 11



No comments:

Post a Comment